Choosing the Right Hardwood Flooring
Selecting the perfect hardwood flooring is a decision that requires careful consideration of various factors. Aside from aesthetics, you need an option that offers durability, functionality, and value for money. In this article, we discuss some key features such as wood species, grades, and finishes that will help you make an informed decision when investing in hardwood floor installation.
The wood species you choose for your flooring is crucial as it directly impacts the overall look and strength of your hardwood floors. There are numerous species available, each with its unique grain pattern and color variations:
- Oak: Known for its durability and availability in a wide range of hues.
- Maple: Highly resilient with a tight-grain pattern that gives off a clean look.
- Hickory: Offers excellent strength with distinct grain markings suitable for rustic spaces.
- Cherry: Presents natural warmth due to its rich coloration and fine-grained pattern.
Consider the traffic levels in the area where the flooring will be installed. Harder species like oak or maple are well-suited for high-traffic areas while softer ones like cherry may be better suited for rooms with limited footfall.
Floor Grading System
The grading system provides a standardized classification based on wood appearance attributes such as knots, mineral streaks, and color variations. Grades affect aesthetics rather than quality or durability:
- Clear Grade: Practically free of imperfections like knots or prominent grains; delivers a consistent appearance.
- Select Grade: Displays minimal knots and a uniform color scheme; ideal for a slightly more natural look.
- Common Grades (No.1 and No.2): Showcase larger knots, wider color variations, and distinct grain patterns; optimal for rustic or casual settings.
Choosing the right grade depends on your personal preferences and the desired visual effect you seek to create.
Wood finishes are crucial as they protect hardwood flooring from daily wear while enhancing its appearance. There are various finish options available:
- Polyurethane: A popular choice known for its durability and easy maintenance.
- Oil-based finishes: Penetrate deeper into the wood to deliver a natural matte finish.
- Water-based finishes: Fast-drying, non-yellowing, and offers a clear look that preserves the wood’s original hue.
Your choice of finish should factor in your lifestyle, aesthetic preferences, and the amount of foot traffic the floor will be subjected to.
For expert hardwood floor installation services in Nashville, TN, know that you can always trust Affordable Hardwood Services to bring your vision to life with quality materials and workmanship. Contact us at (615) 241-8504 today to discuss your project and secure an appointment with our team.